Diabetes Self-Management Education (SC)
Diabetes is the seventh-leading cause of death in SC behind cancer, heart disease, chronic lower respiratory disease, stroke, accidents, and Alzheimer’s.1 The quality-of-life issues are great, and the financial burden enormous.
- In 2012, total hospital charges related to a diagnosis of diabetes were $250 million. Medicare and Medicaid paid for more than two-thirds of this cost.
- In 2012, SC ranked 7th-highest in the nation in the percentage of adults with diabetes.
Approximately one in seven African-Americans in SC has diabetes, which ranks SC as the 5th-highest state for diabetes among African-Americans in the nation.
Diabetes Self-management Education Training
Diabetes self-management education (DSME) is a proven intervention for empowering persons with diabetes to take an active role in controlling their disease. We will work with you and your community to schedule and plan DSME training classes. These classes last 5 – 6 weeks depending on the curriculum. For more information call or email Sharon Eubanks.
1SCDHEC Fact Sheet, 11/2013 and 2012 Burden of Diabetes in SC, Office of Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Evaluation, 01/09/2013
Join the Partners in Practice for Healthy Communities Learning and Action Network (LAN)
Download the following LAN factsheets/forms:
- DSME Community Participation Fact Sheet (340.7 KiB)
- DSME Physician Participation Fact Sheet (340.2 KiB)
- LAN Description (242.9 KiB)
- Provider Agreement Form (298.3 KiB)
Preventive Tip Sheet
- Annual Wellness Visit Tip Sheet (242.1 KiB)
- Chronic Care Management Tip Sheet (195.5 KiB)
- Diabetes and Prediabetes Screening Tip Sheet (237.7 KiB)
- Diabetes Self-Management Training (273.5 KiB)
- IBT For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction Tip Sheet (230.8 KiB)
- IBT For Obesity Tip Sheet (191.6 KiB)
- Initial Preventive Physical Examination TipSheet (216.8 KiB)
Community Of Practice Links
Coming Soon: DSME Trainer Community of Practice