Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship
Under contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), the Carolinas Center for Medical Excellence (CCME) with the South Carolina Atlantic Quality Innovation Network (AQIN-SC), a Quality Innovation Network-Quality Improvement Organization (QIN-QIO), AQIN-NY IPRO and AQIN-DC Qlarant invites you to participate in the improvement initiative: Combatting Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria through Antibiotic Stewardship in Communities.
Part of the task of CMS’ quality improvement program in this arena will be to spread the principles of antibiotic stewardship among recruited outpatient settings at the point of care, where the antibiotics are being prescribed.
QIO’s have been working on antibiotic stewardship together in concert with work on preventing healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and also have a strong history of working in communities to facilitate transitions of care.
The goal of this project is to increase the number of outpatient settings that have incorporated all Core Elements of Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship.
- Receive education for outpatient settings on the fundamentals of Antibiotic Stewardship (AS) and the risks of misuse/overuse of antibiotics in healthcare and food production
- Receive education on the Core Elements of Outpatient AS, education for patients on AS, and antibiotics in healthcare and food production
- Gain experience in assessing and determining which Core Elements of AS are in place and/or needed
- Acquire tools to assess for and implement AS
- Have an opportunity to participate in a multidisciplinary advisory team on AS
- Network with and learn from other experts in your state and the country working together on AS
- Participate in Learning and Action Network (LAN) activities that promote and spread best practices in AS in outpatient settings
- Agree to remain active in this initiative through July 2019
- Agree to publicly disclose participation in this initiative
- Form an interdisciplinary team to incorporate all Core Elements of Outpatient AS into practice
- Identify a team sponsor and a day-to-day leader
- Participate in LAN events, other education sessions, webinars, and conference
- Share results, best practices, and lessons learned